For those who may be interested in how the media covered the story, thanks to my colleague Bill Steinburg in the Public Relations & Communications Office of the Archdiocese, we can offer a few bits of info on the breadth of coverage of this announcement:
- Total "media" captured coverage over 4 days (January 6-9) – 701 mentions of Archbishop Thomas Collins in the media.
- 96 national stories
- More than half the coverage came from two provinces – Ontario (294) and Alberta (138)
- 73% of the coverage was from television/radio broadcasters
- 18% was from print media outlets
- Wire services comprised 5% of the coverage and web-based news sites represented 2%
From the 700+ mentions over the four days in question, some initial analysis identified 125 stories that were either significant and/or unique (rather than repeated mentions in a repeating news cycle).
Looking specifically at those 125 articles/pieces:
- Had a reported circulation/reach of nearly 15 million (14,894,808); 3.5 million through national media: 8.7 million in Ontario and 1.1 million in Alberta
- Represented an equivalent ad value of $176,770
- Print ($107, 000) broadcast ($69,500)
We didn't expand the reach to American or other foreign mentions but this gives you a snapshot of the fact that yes, this is a pretty big deal.