Jul 9, 2010

Homegrown iApp Explains New Mass Translation...

A brand new application has arrived in the Apple store and for Catholics interested in evangelization through new technology, it's definitely worth a look. Cale Clarke, a passionate young Catholic from our Archdiocese, who serves as a lay pastoral assistant at St. Justin Martyr Parish in Unionville, took the bull by the horns and decided to develop a new application that would assist in educating our family of faith in understanding the new translation of the mass, expected to be implemented in Canada for Advent 2011.

Just a few weeks ago we talked about an iPad app developed by a priest in Italy to assist clergy in celebrating mass with the new translation. This application is different in that it's designed specifically for the Catholic in the pew or those wanting to learn a little more about the new translation. And at 99 cents, it's a bargain!

Congratulations to Cale for having the foresight to develop this exciting new tool that, for a whole new audience, will evangelize, educate and hopefully inspire!

We caught up with Cale - what follows below should shed some additional light about his work, passion for the faith and all about a brand new app that could have a profound impact on both our local and global church.

Around the Arch (ATA): Tell us a little bit about the work you do for the church.

Cale: I'm the Director of The Faith Explained Seminars , and I'm incredibly passionate about helping Catholics understand their faith in a deeper way. We can't truly love a person unless we know him, and so we must know what the Church teaches about Christ - who he is, and what the Christ life is all about - in order to love Jesus as we should.

I walked away from the Church myself as a young man (hopefully I'm still on the young side), and I have to say that the reason I did was that I didn't fully understand the faith as I should have. Not being well grounded in the reasons for belief, I was "easy pickins" for secular skeptics on campus. The greatest discovery of my life was the historical evidence for Christ and the Catholic Church.

ATA: How did you decide to come up with the idea for The New Mass app?

Cale: When I heard about the new English translation of the Mass, I realized that a massive catechetical effort would be needed to help people learn the new texts and responses. Of course, books and printed materials have their place, but in today's wired and mobile world, there was a need for something that people could carry with them in their pocket - a simple, easy-to-use, yet beautiful tool for helping them learn the new translation - hence, the idea for The New Mass iPhone app was conceived.

My good friend Batsirai Chada and I immediately set to work buildng it, and now it's been "born". I can't believe it's a reality; that people are already using it and learning about the New Mass on their iPhones and iPod Touches, all over the world!

ATA: Tell us a little bit about how it works.

Cale: For each major section of the Mass (the Gloria, the Creed, etc.), we have the current translation, the new text, as well as a brief commentary on the reasons for the change. I tried to focus especially on the many biblical allusions of the Mass texts. The Mass is saturated with Scripture! People can follow along with the Mass, and also use it to prepare for Mass. Best of all, you can use it with today's Mass as well as the new English translation that's coming.

ATA: What do you hope this tool will accomplish?

Cale: When I shared the New Mass app with Archbishop Collins, we talked about what a teachable moment this is for the universal Church. It's a God-given opportunity for Catholics to do far more than just learn some new responses, as we won't be able to go from memory anymore!

It's a chance to rediscover what the Mass is really about. It's the heart of our faith, "the source and summit" as the Church puts it, because the Mass is Jesus Christ himself. He is there in his physical, Real Presence - Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity. You simply can't get any closer to God this side of heaven!


ATA: How can people download the App?

Cale: You can download The New Mass App from the Apple App Store. We also have a website, just for the app, that links to this as well. And here's the official iTunes site for the app.

ATA: What are your own impressions of the new translation?

Cale: It's gorgeous. It's a more elegant and beautiful English translation, sticks closer to the official Latin text, and many great Scriptural allusions, as I mentioned before. Here's an example: just before we receive the Eucharist, instead of saying, "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you", we will say, "Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof". Now, this has nothing to do with the Eucharist and the roof of one's mouth! It's actually a quote from Matthew 8, where a Roman centurion tells Jesus that it's unnecessary for him to travel to his house to heal his servant. The Lord then marvels at the man's faith - which is exactly the faith we need to recognize Jesus' Real Presence in the Eucharist. These are the types of explanations I tried to put in The New Mass app.

ATA: What's next on the agenda for Cale?

Cale: I plan on doing a lot of speaking at conferences, parishes, etc., to help educate people about The New Mass. I'm so excited about this - I can't wait for people to learn more. So please contact me - I'd love to speak to your group. Other than that, I'll still be writing for Catholic Insight magazine and other outlets, and continuing to serve as a pastoral assistant at Saint Justin Martyr Parish. And, of course, we'll be continually updating The New Mass app, so watch www.thefaithexplained.com for more news as it happens!

Photos: Cale Clarke

12 comments:

VIRGEM DE GUADALUPE said...

bien venido en el blog: www.virgemdeguadalupe.blogspot.com

tariq14639 said...

check out http://www.translation.pk They have recorded independent video presentations of almost every computer-aided translation software tool out there. They show how to create a project and translate the same basic Word document in each one, so you can make direct comparisons. They guy who put together the site also writes a translation technology newsletter that I recommend. It’s called the Translator’s ToolKit.Good translation services are essential to successful business. Take your time and do some research on your chosen good translation service to ensure good business
whenever I encounter such a thing—I speak right up and tell them to speak english….that is what our tax dollars paid for with the English as a second Language crud…..I am not shy—they are in our country, in our businesses and unless they are in court and completely fail to understand what is happening should they be given an interpreter—-why make it so easy for these rude people….when they speak it around me I turn and say something to them in Choctaw Indian……they usually shut up right away, then in plain english I tell them that they are in MY country—–
I found the translation very helpful, but there are a few things I’d change. For the first line, “The flesh is sad, alas, *and* I’ve read all the book.” A small thing, but it gets across better the idea that he’s jaded, both body and mind. I don’t think he’s fleeing to *where* the birds must be drunk; he says “I feel birds must drunk to be…” Meaning, I think, that the birds want to fly just as he does. I’m not sure why she has the steamer “rocking” rather than balancing its masts. “Heave anchor” is a strange expression; “weigh anchor” would be better. And I don’t think the ennui is *bereft of* cruel hopes– I think it’s *heartbroken by* cruel hopes.

Translation quotes said...

As well as to how far this has gone. Definitely a positive step forward for blogs. And a lot of negativity has been raised towards mainstream tabloids like the Sun. I just want Fuller to know that the next time I translate an article from a Czech source, that I will get full permission to translate it and post it only on PPP, and that no Google translate will be used, thus rendering any of his excuses obsolete.

rashid1891 said...

it is very good man and i like it

rashid1891 said...

Thank you, thank you for featuring me!!! It was so much fun to answer the questions!

rashid1891 said...

I wish I could read German so that I could read Rilke in his original translation. Still, I love my side-by-side translated copy of The Book of Images and pull it out whenever I need inspirational thought.
as for my favorite poets, I named my blog from an Emily Dickinson poem, so I suppose my favorite is a bit obvious, no?

rashid1891 said...

My favourite poet is Tennison. Oh but, Annakata, what a glorious clip of Nat. Thank you so much. I feel all mushy and mellow now! Lots of love, Amanda

rashid1891 said...

They say eyes clear with age,
As dew clarifies air
To sharpen evenings,
As if time put an edge
Round the last shape of things
To show them there;
The many-levelled trees,
The long soft tides of grass
Wrinkling away the gold
Wind-ridden waves- all these,
They say, come back to focus
As we grow old.

rashid1891 said...

Yesterday I happily announced the first fall day, but I was all wrong.....it's today. When Fall comes I always find my poetry books: Rainer Maria Rilke, Hilde Domin, Federico García Lorca and Juan Ramón Jiménez are amongst my favorites.

rashid1891 said...

That's the beauty of life.. It gives you hope and then betrays in the form of an illusion! Crooked is its style and Wicked is its smile.You are baffled by the way it treats and undermines your judgment as ever.Makes you cantankerous with the way it forces you to channelize your outlook...It winks with a grin and howl's while it grins.It's complicated and perplexing while you make an attempt to decrypt.Its like the devil wearing the prada. The vampire in disguise of an angel. Cry out loud.. but the plea wont be heard. Surrender cause this race would never end.. Life would always be a step ahead of you; fooling, laughing and making fun of you. Teasing is its general trait.At the end Crucify .

rashid1891 said...

My problem remains the fact that it seemed to lack...performance. I've never seen a dance piece before that wasn't also a performance. That magic thing that creates a triangle on stage, rather than a flat line between actor and director, making the audience feel like a peeping tom or unwelcome voyeur. This felt like second circle drama: the performer was working hard, and pushing through something, but connected only with the rehearsal process and offstage crew, with little concern as to what we were to do as viewers (and I heard several people in the audience echo these sentiments).

norwegian website translation said...

Great Post....



norwegian website translation